HOWE re-issuing Arne Jacobsen’s tongue chair
You might be familiar with Arne Jacobsen’s Ant, Grand Prix or series 7 chairs and you should be since they became icons of design history. Somehow though, one of his classic pieces, the ‘tongue chair’, got lost with the rising popularity of his earlier ‘ant chair’. Danish manufacturer HOWE is now re-issueing the characteristic organic wave-form in the tongue-shaped seat.
“The Tongue has been taken under our wing at HOWE and we applied our knowledge in engineering ensuring that this original design lives up to the high standards of today”, explains Lars Bruntse.
The process of refining the Tongue has been thorough and every detail has been carefully thought out to match Arne Jacobsen’s own vision for the chair.
Being a minimalistic and sculptural design the Tongue is the perfect example of original Arne Jacobsen design. The Tongue embraces his love for form, beauty and shape.
[divider] About Arne Jacobsen [/divider]
Arne Jacobsen (1902-71), architect and designer. Educated at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, School of Architecture in Copenhagen, professor at the Academy (1956-65).
As a designer, Jacobsen made prototypes for furniture, textiles, wallpaper, silverware etc. Among his most famous designs are The Ant™ (designed for Novo Nordisk canteen) (1952), Series 7™ (1955), The Egg™ and The Swan™ (designed for the SAS Royal Hotel ) 1958, and the tableware Cylinda-Line (1967).
Among his most famous works as an architect are the apartment blocks Bellavista in Klampenborg (1933-34), Bellevue Theatre (1935-36), Århus Town Hall (in co-operation with Erik Møller) (1939-42), Søllerød Town Hall (in co-operation with Flemming Lassen) (1940-42), Søholm semi-detached houses in Klampenborg (1950-54), Rødovre Town Hall (1957), Glostrup Town Hall (1958),The Munkegård School in Copenhagen (1955-59), SAS Royal Hotel Copenhagen (1958-1960), Toms Chocolate Factories in Ballerup (1961), Danmarks Nationalbank (started in 1965), Saint Catherine’s College in Oxford (1964-66).
Jacobsen also designed a project for the lobby of Hannover Concert Hall (1964-66), Castrop Rauxel mall (1965), Christaneum Grammar School in Hamburg (1965), Administration building for the Hamburg power station (in co-operation with Otto Weitling) (1965).